There’s a really wide range of sporting opportunities in Louvie Juzon. Join us for a Sport Break and try something new or expand your experience in a sport you already love. Whatever your choice, we will help you make the most of your time in the Pyrenees.
Bikes and Cycling
Tour de France 2020 – 05 July – Stage 9: Pau-Laruns 154 km
Sorry! We are now fully booked for TdF 2020
Live the unique experience of a live stage of the Tour de France and it’s colourful caravan! With a bit of luck, you might get to meet the various cycling teams in the streets of Pau! Join us to watch the Tour live and whilst with us, perhaps take the opportunity to climb the mythic cols of the Tour which are on our door step; Marie-Blanque, Aubisque, Soulor.
This Pau-Laruns stage will be superb. It goes across 3 valleys; Aspe, Barétous and finishing in Valley d’Ossau. It’s an unusual route taking in the cols of la Hourcère, Suscousse and Soudet before finishing with the traditional and challenging col du Marie Blanque through Escot and an arrival in Laruns.
Tour stage Reccie Week-End
Wherever the Etape is open to non professionals (Mondovelo), you can come and get yourself prepared for the season. In the Pyrenees you will benefit from the altitude climbing the famous Tour de France cols on quiet roads within beautiful surroundings.
Get away from it all to the freedom of the Pyrenees. Follow one of our suggested tours or choose your own route; with our Self-Guided Tours you get all the help and support you need, plus maps, information, data and more. Included:
- B&B (double bed or twins) en suite
- Optional Evening Meals (supplement applies)
- Free transfer Pau/Tarbes (airport, railway or coach station)
- Cycling routes prepared by Green Bike plus other maps at your disposal
- Emergency pick-up
- Use of our cycle workshop
- Garage to park your bike
- If taking part in a Cyclo-Sportive, we supply a free transfer to the event.
Please note that although we offer a free transfer from the airport or railway station, this is a rural area and we advise you to rent a car if you want to visit a wider area. If you prefer not to, you can simply have a great time out in the fresh air on your bike, running, hiking… or simply relaxing.
Our prepared Tours include the below and for all three we suggest a minimum of three nights with us:
- The 3 cols challenge (le Marie Blanque, l’Aubisque et le Soulor)
- Birthday Milestones with Certificate
Cyclo-Sportives are local cycling events based on a group riding, however you cycle at your own pace. Outside the front runners, most cyclists take part to get a sense of achievement and enjoy the countryside with fellow cyclists. The events are well organised and marshalled and are indeed an enjoyable experience! You will need a cycling license and/or a medical certificate proving you are fit.
Below is a selection of Cyclo-Sportives in the region:
- 30th May: Les Boucles du Haut Béarn – 3 routes 160km, 100 km and 70 km pyreneeschrono.fr/evenement/les-boucles-du-haut-bearn
- 9th June: l’Immortelle A sportive Challenge Arette – La Pierre St Martin (3 routes La Pierre via Sainte-Engrasse, La Pierre via Issarbe and La Pierre via Lurdios) www.immortelle-cyclo.com
- 22nd June Quebranhuesos 200km or 85 km (going through the Marie Blanque and Le Pourtalet. www.quebrantahuesos.com
- 7th July: La Pyrénéenne – Departure Bagnères-de-Bigorre – 4 vallées 170km, 2 vallées 120km(4000m/3000m), La Cyclo rando www.lapyreneenne.a3w.fr
- 27th July: La Pierre St Jacques en Barétous – 148 or 124 km (2700/2900m) lapierrejacquesenbaretous.com
- 10th August: La Marcel Queheille Mauléon 3 routes, 81, 116 and 138km cyclo-marcelqueheille.fr
- 17th to 23rd August: La Haute Route Pyrénées www.hauteroute.org/fr/events/overview/pyrenees-2019-fr
- 7th September: Larra-Larrau – Issaba Espagne – 100km ou 146km (supplément 50€ 1 personne, 75€ pour 2 personnes) www.larra-larrau.com
- Dates TBC September: La Lapébie – Bagnères-de-Luchon www.lalapebie.org
- Dates TBC September: La Tarbaise – Tarbes tcrando.free.fr/CycloLaTarbaise
On s’y col – Riding the cols just for you
Event organised by the Pyrénées Atlantiques County
Cycle ride open to all bikes (road, bike, mountain bike, tandem, electric bikes) – Enjoy cycling the roads to the cols closed to the cars for half a day.
- On s’y col Arette 8th July TBC
- On s’y col Aubisque 8th September
We rent bikes; so if you don’t want to bring your own – we can help. Costs:
- Road bike: €20 per day or €120 per week
- Mountain bike: €15 per day or €90 per week.
- Helmets: we can provide helmets but it is much better for you to bring your own; fit and comfort are likely to be much better and, of course, it’s yours. It’s not been used by others.
- We will need a deposit; returned on the return of the bike and you will be responsible for any damage or loss.
- Final point – if you want to hire a bike it’s best to bring your own pedals. That way you know will not be a problem between cycling shoes and pedals…
Running and Triathlon
There are numerous opportunities to run from the valley to the mountains. Each weekend in summer you will find a village fair holding its own mountain race in a friendly atmosphere.
Should you wish to prepare for the season or a specific race in your season, come here with your training program. Our objective is to help you maintain your daily routine of train, eat, rest, train, eat, rest and repeat… After a week of dedicated intense training you will be flying when you are back home. We have experience of competition so you can lean on us to provide you with the right support. That includes booking you a spa and massage at Spa Montagne in Laruns to help smooth away your muscle aches and pains.
Events and challenges include:
The Challenge d’Ossau is well known and consists of four races between May and August. You can take part in only some of the races, but to be classified in the Challenge you need to run all four races. http://www.rebenacq.com/challenge-dossau/presentation/index.html
- 19th May– La Ronde du Pic de Rebeneacq – 15 km (230m change in altitude)
- 16th June – Lo Petit Aussales (Eaux Bonnes to Eaux Bonnes) – 19.6 km (1337m change in altitude)
- 30th June – L’ossaloise (Louvie-Juzon à Laruns par la montagne) – 23km (1007m change in altitude). The course passes in front of our B&B
- 25th August – La Montée de l’Aubisque (Laruns to col de l’Aubisque) -18.7km, (1204m change in altitude) – Trail de l’Aubisque 14km (1500m change in altitude)
Local Races and Trails
Below are a selection of local races
- 3rd March – Semi-Marathon du GIVRÉ du PAYS DE NAY – 21,1 km Trail – 14K walk www.legivre.org
- 17th March – La Buzéenne – 18km (440D+) and 9km (200m D+) firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6th April – Le Nouste Nay – Trail nocturne – 25, 17, 10 km www.running-aquitaine.fr
- 13th April – La Féminine de Printemps– Pau – 6km email@example.com
- 21st April – Trail du Barétous – Arette 25km solo or duo (1360mD+) or 13km (600mD+) firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st May – Trail du Benou 8 and 15 km www.calendrier.dusportif.fr
- 29th June – Trail du HAUT-DE-GAN La Haut De Gantoise – 20km (700D+), 11km (450m D+), walk 8km (320mD+) www.running-aquitaine.fr
- 13thJuly – Grand Trail de la Vallée d’Ossau Laruns_Louvie-Juzon_Laruns www.gtvo.fr Each year GREEN BIKE PYRENEES is a partner of the GTVO
- 14th July – Course à la Montagne Verte – Eaux Bonnes – Traditional run with 470m D+ www.gourette.com/fr/agenda
- 11th August – GOURETTE DÉFI DU BÉZOU – In 4H climbing as much as possible climbs of 1,3 km with 250m D+ www.gourette.com/fr/agenda
- 31st August – GABAS-BIOUS-ARTIGUES AU PIED DU MUR, LE TOUR DE L’OSSAU – 17,3 km (1100m D+)
- 15th September – Artouste KV d’Artouste (Vertical km of Artouste)– 4,5 km only but with 1000m D+ stationdetrail.com/fr/stations/ossau-pyrenees/offres/kilometre-vertical-artouste
- 22nd September – OGEU L’OGEULOISE – 18KM 400M D+ 9KM 160M D+
- 19th October – ASSON Raid OUZOM – Trail and Mountain bike raid-ouzom.com
- 10th November – Pau BIKE AND RUN www.pautriathlon.fr
For any other race in Aquitaine, contact:
- 7th April: Ekiden – Pau-Gelos www.ekidenpaugelos.org
- 1st June: Half Marathon Oloron Ste Marie semi-marathon-oloron.com
- 24th November: Half Marathon Lourdes/Tarbes www.runningtrail.fr/pages/course-4292-Semi-marathon-Lourdes-Tarbes</li
Triathlon & Duathlon
- 17th March: Duathlon Coteaux des Pyrénées triathlon.latribu64.fr/fr/courses
- 16th June: Discovery Triathlon – Lons (200m, -km, 1,5km) mairie-lons.fr/index.php/4eme-triathlon
- 15-16 June: Baudreix Triathlon – Long Distance Soulor/Aubisque, Sprint, Olympic distance triathlon.latribu64.fr/fr/courses
- 18-19th May: Triathlon of the Basque cost – St Pée sur Nivelle -Sprint – Découverte – M triathlon-cotebasque.com/fr_fr
- 25th May: Triathlon des Corsaires – Socoa bay (Ciboure) triathlon-des-corsaires.info
- 7th September: Billère Triathlon Relay – 8 km (2km, 6km, 2km) www.billere-triathlon.com
- 14th September: Triathlon St-Jean de Luz – Long distance www.t2area.com/triathlon-l-de-st-jean-de-luz
This is a short list of what there is to offer in the neighbourhood:
- hiking in the Vallée d’Ossau and the National Park of the Pyrenees
- rock climbing
- horse riding
- surfing (in the Atlantic)
- skiing – downhill, cross country, snowshoes
And a bit more info for you:
- Downhill Skiing – Gourette : http://www.gourette.com/fr/
- Downhill Skiing – Artouste
- Downhill Skiing – la Pierre St. Martin : http://www.lapierrestmartin.com/fr/il4-station_p2-decouvrir.aspx
Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing
- French side – La Braca – Pierre St. Martin, Somport, Iraty, Issarbe
Can be practiced in local forests leading to Col du Pourtalet or Issarbe
A Triathlon with a difference due to the local climate in March. No swimming. Instead: Run, Bike, Cross-country Ski. Why not consider this challenge before starting the triathlon season?
- 24th March – La Pyrénéa – Pau-Gourette pyreneeschrono.fr/evenement/la-pyrenea-triathlon
Our B&B is 30 minutes from the Gourette and Artouste ski resorts.