There’s a really wide range of sporting opportunities in Louvie Juzon. Join us for a Sport Break and try something new or expand your experience in a sport you already love. Whatever your choice, we will help you make the most of your time in the Pyrenees.
Bikes and Cycling
Green Bike Pyrenées has held the “Accueil Vélo” label since 2017, a guarantee of quality of welcome and of services along cycle routes for touring cyclists.
Tour de France 2023 – 5th July – Stage 5: Pau=>Laruns 165 km
Live the unique experience of a live stage of the Tour de France and its colourful caravan! With a bit of luck, you might get to meet the various cycling teams in the streets of Lourdes! Join us to watch the Tour live and whilst with us, perhaps take the opportunity to climb the mythic cols of the Tour which are on our door step; Marie-Blanque, Aubisque, Soulor.
This year the TdF is a mountainous one designed for climbers. Our local stage, stage 5 is the first mountain stage of the Tour. Once again Pau is on the menu with a cycling route between the Vallée du Barétous, Vallée de Soule, Vallée d’Aspe and the Vallée d’Ossau going through 2 famous cols of the Tour, the Col de Soudet (1540m) and the Col du Marie Blanque (1035m). Don’t miss the finish in Laruns, 15 minutes away from our Chalet!
Tour stage Reccie Week-End
Wherever the Etape is open to non professionals (Mondovelo), you can come and get yourself prepared for the season. In the Pyrenees you will benefit from the altitude climbing the famous Tour de France cols on quiet roads within beautiful surroundings.
Get away from it all to the freedom of the Pyrenees. Follow one of our suggested tours or choose your own route; with our Self-Guided Tours you get all the help and support you need, plus maps, information, data and more. Included:
- B&B (double bed or twins) en suite with hot drinks at your disposal through the day
- Optional Evening Meals (supplement applies)
- Free Wifi
- Free transfer Pau/Tarbes (airport, railway or coach station)
- Cycling routes prepared by Green Bike plus other maps at your disposal
- Emergency pick-up
- Use of our cycle workshop
- Garage to park your bike
- If taking part in a Cyclo-Sportive, we supply a free transfer to the event.
Please note that although we offer a free transfer from the airport or railway station, this is a rural area and we advise you to rent a car if you want to visit a wider area. If you prefer not to, you can simply have a great time out in the fresh air on your bike, running, hiking… or simply relaxing.
Our prepared Tours include the below and for all three we suggest a minimum of three nights with us:
- The 3 cols challenge (le Marie Blanque, l’Aubisque et le Soulor)
- Birthday Milestones with Certificate
Cyclo-Sportives are local cycling events based on a group riding, however you cycle at your own pace. Outside the front runners, most cyclists take part to get a sense of achievement and enjoy the countryside with fellow cyclists. The events are well organised and marshalled and are indeed an enjoyable experience! You will need a cycling license and/or a medical certificate proving you are fit.
Below is a selection of Cyclo-Sportives in the region:
- 22nd May: Les Boucles du Haut Béarn – 3 routes 160km, 100 km and 70 km pyreneeschrono.fr/evenement/les-boucles-du-haut-bearn
- 11th June: l’Immortelle A sportive Challenge Arette – La Pierre St Martin (3 routes La Pierre via Sainte-Engrasse, La Pierre via Issarbe and La Pierre via Lurdios) L’Immortelle | cycloworld.cc
- 18th June: Quebranhuesos -Quebrantahuesos Gran Fondo (200 km), Treparriscos Medio Fondo (85 km)(going through the Marie Blanque and Le Pourtalet. www.quebrantahuesos.com
- 1st -3rd July Tour du Piemont Pyrénéen – Stage 3 2nd July Laruns – Artouste with Soulor Aubisque Artouste
- 3rd July: La Pyrénéenne – Departure Argeles Gazost – la 4 vallées , la 4 vallées “EXTREME”, la 2 vallées, la 2 vallées “SOLIDE”, la Tonique, la Cyclo rando La Pyrénéenne Cyclosportive (lapyreneennecyclo.com)
- 5-9th July: La Haute Route Pyrénées www.hauteroute.org/fr/events/overview/pyrenees-2022-fr
- 17th July: La Mathieu Ladagnous 142 km D+ 3663m Cyclosportive : La Matthieu Ladagnous (inscription, parcours, tarifs, horaires, règlement, classements) (lequipe.fr)
- 30th July: La Pierre St Jacques en Barétous – 114 or 67km (D 2700/D 1600m) lapierrejacquesenbaretous.com
- 6th August: La Marcel Queheille Mauléon 3 routes, 81 / 116 еt 138 km (1200-2491-3235 m) La Marcel Queheille 2022 – Mauléon-Licharre (64) (dusportif.fr)
- 28 th August – La Mousquetaire – 195km/4900d+, 100km/2600d+ La Mousquetaire | cycloworld.cc
- 3rd September: Larra-Larrau – Issaba Espagne – 146km/3780d+, 100km/2581d+ (supplément 50€ 1 personne, 75€ pour 2 personnes) www.larra-larrau.com
Some sites on which you can find cyclosportive information:
- calendrier_cyclosportives.php (velo-cyclosport.com)
- Calendrier cyclosportive 2022 (dates, inscriptions, parcours) (lequipe.fr)
On s’y col – Riding the cols just for you
Event organised by the Pyrénées Atlantiques County
Cycle ride open to all bikes (road, bike, mountain bike, tandem, electric bikes) – Enjoy cycling the roads to the cols closed to the cars for half a day.
- 14th August 2022 Col de la Hourcère
- 11th September 2022 Col d’Aubisque
- 1st October 2022 Col La Pierre St Martin
- Col de Lie – date to come.
We rent bikes; so if you don’t want to bring your own – we can help. Costs:
- Road bike: €35 per day or €200 per week
- Mountain bike: €20 per day or €100 per week.
- Helmets: we can provide helmets but it is much better for you to bring your own; fit and comfort are likely to be much better and, of course, it’s yours. It’s not been used by others.
- We will need a deposit; returned on the return of the bike and you will be responsible for any damage or loss.
- Final point – if you want to hire a bike it’s best to bring your own pedals. That way you know will not be a problem between cycling shoes and pedals…
Running and Triathlon
There are numerous opportunities to run from the valley to the mountains. Each weekend in summer you will find a village fair holding its own mountain race in a friendly atmosphere.
Should you wish to prepare for the season or a specific race in your season, come here with your training program. Our objective is to help you maintain your daily routine of train, eat, rest, train, eat, rest and repeat… After a week of dedicated intense training you will be flying when you are back home. We have experience of competition so you can lean on us to provide you with the right support. That includes booking you a spa and massage at Spa Montagne in Laruns to help smooth away your muscle aches and pains.
Events and challenges include:
The Challenge d’Ossau is well known and consists of four races between May and August. You can take part in only some of the races, but to be classified in the Challenge you need to run all four races. http://www.rebenacq.com/challenge-dossau/presentation/index.html
- 1st May– Trail du Benou– 15 km /D+750m
- 22nd May– Lo Petit Aussales (Eaux Bonnes to Eaux Bonnes) – 18.2 km / D+1214m
- 26th June – L’ossaloise (Louvie-Juzon à Laruns par la montagne) – 23km /D+1007m. The course passes in front of our B&B
- 22nd August – La Montée de l’Aubisque (Laruns to col de l’Aubisque) -18.7km /D+1204m – Trail de l’Aubisque 14km /D+1500m
Local Races and Trails
Below are a selection of local races
- 6th March – Semi-Marathon du GIVRÉ du PAYS DE NAY – 21,1 km Trail – 14K walk www.legivre.org
- 20th March – La Buzéenne – Trail 16km or 9km.
- 2ndApril – Le Nouste Nay – Night Trail – 20, 15, 10 km www.running-aquitaine.fr
- 18th April – Trail du Barétous – Arette 25km solo or duo (1360mD+) or 13km (600mD+) email@example.com
- 30th April– La Féminine de Printemps– Pau – 6km firstname.lastname@example.org
- 11 and 12th June – Raid Nature Multisports PPA – Buzy – https://pyreneeschrono.fr/evenement/raid-ppa
- 2nd July – Haut de Gan -Trail 20km/ D+900m and 11.5 km /D+500m
- 9th July – Grand Trail de la Vallée d’Ossau Laruns_Louvie-Juzon_Laruns – 75 km/ D+5300m www.gtvo.fr Each year GREEN BIKE PYRENEES is a partner of the GTVO
- 14th July – Course à la Montagne Verte – Eaux Bonnes – Traditional run with 470m D+ www.gourette.com/fr/agenda
- 3rd September – LE TOUR DE L’OSSAU – 17km /D+1100m
- TBC September – Artouste KV d’Artouste (Vertical km of Artouste)– 4,5 km only but with 1000m D+ stationdetrail.com/fr/stations/ossau-pyrenees/offres/kilometre-vertical-artouste
- 18th September – OGEU L’OGEULOISE – 185km 350M D+ 9KM 200M D+
- 19th September – Pau BIKE AND RUN www.pautriathlon.fr
For any other race in Aquitaine, contact:
- 27th March: Ekiden – Pau-Gelo Marathon Relais – https://pyreneeschrono.fr/evenement/ekiden-de-pau-bearn
- 23rd April : Trail de Barcus 21km – https://barkoxe.jimdo.com/
- 15th May: Half Marathon Oloron Ste Marie semi-marathon-oloron.com
- 23rd October – Semi Marathon Donibane Hondarribia – https://www.donibane-hondarribia.comh
- 20th November: Half Marathon Lourdes/TarbesSemi Marathon Lourdes – Tarbes – Running Track (running-track.com)
Triathlon & Duathlon
- 16th May: Triathlon of the Basque Coast – St Pée sur Nivelle -Sprint – Découverte – triathlon-cotebasque.com/fr
- 11th June – Triathlon de Luchon – 1200m/94 km D+ 2713m, 16.8km D+855m www.triathlondeluchon.com
- 5th September: Le Challenge du Soulor _Longue distance 1200m/71km/17km – Short distance 500m/14km/7km – https//vautourman.com
- 10-11th September: Baudreix Triathlon – Long Distance Soulor/Aubisque, Sprint, Olympic distance triathlon.latribu64.fr/fr/courses
- 10th September: Triathlon St-Jean de Luz – Long distance Triathlon de Saint Jean de Luz (64) (t2area.com)
- 24th September – Pau triathlon Sprint and Olympique – www.pautriathlon.fr
- 24th September – Col de Couraduque Vautourman Duathlon -Run/bike/run L 9km/73km/9km – M 5km/33km/5km
- 1st October: Triathlon des Corsaires – Socoa bay (Ciboure)Triathlon des Corsaires 2022, Ciboure : programme, dates, registrations, Calendrier Triathlon Pyrénées-Atlantiques – Le-Sportif.com
This is a short list of what there is to offer in the neighbourhood:
- hiking in the Vallée d’Ossau and the National Park of the Pyrenees
- rock climbing
- horse riding
- surfing (in the Atlantic)
- skiing – downhill, cross country, snowshoes
And a bit more info for you:
- Downhill Skiing – Gourette : http://www.gourette.com/fr/
- Downhill Skiing – Artouste
- Downhill Skiing – la Pierre St. Martin : http://www.lapierrestmartin.com/fr/il4-station_p2-decouvrir.aspx
Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing
- French side – La Braca – Pierre St. Martin, Somport, Iraty, Issarbe
Can be practiced in local forests leading to Col du Pourtalet or Issarbe
A Triathlon with a difference due to the local climate in March. No swimming. Instead: Run, Bike, Cross-country Ski. Why not consider this challenge before starting the triathlon season?
- 24th March – La Pyrénéa – Pau-Gourette pyreneeschrono.fr/evenement/la-pyrenea-triathlon
Our B&B is 30 minutes from the Gourette and Artouste ski resorts.